Music is offered as an exam subject for Junior Cycle, Leaving Certificate and for the International Baccalaureate.
All courses focus on developing compositional, listening, music technology and practical skills.
Music classes are mixed ability. Junior Cycle is at common level and students usually take higher level in Senior courses.
The course in Transition Year is intended for those continuing with music for Leaving Certificate though, in some instances, sufficient demand for a beginners’ course may be met. Chamber choir is an option in Transition Year.
Music classes regularly participate in educational outings to the National Concert Hall, lectures and choral/opera/music workshops.
There are various choirs and instrumental ensembles offered as extra-curricular activities:
- Junior Choir - Students from 1st - 3rd Year
- Senior Choir - Students from 4th - 6th Year
- Orchestra - All orchestral players are welcome
- Irish Traditional Group - All welcome.
- Guitar/Ukelele Ensemble - All guitar and ukulele players of all standards welcome.
Information relating to choirs and the orchestra, and other news from the Music Department, is posted regularly on the Music noticeboard outside the Senior Hall and on the noticeboard in the Music Department.
St Andrew's College students have the opportunity to perform at a large variety of musical events throughout the year including:
- Opening Ceremony
- Remembrance Ceremony
- In November We Remember Ceremony
- Prizegiving Ceremony in the O’Reilly Hall at UCD
- Biennial Musical
- Intercultural Week
- International Night
- Annual Carol Service
- Regular Class Concerts
- End of term assemblies
- Visits to local schools
- Residential Homes
- Trips abroad
- Annual Music and Dance Festival with an independent adjudicator for various vocal, instrumental and dance competitions culminating in a prizewinners' concert.
- Seachtain na Gaelige
- Friendship Week
- U-Live Uganda Concert (organised by Transition Year Students)
- Music at each of the One Act Drama Festival evenings
- Music at the launch of the literary magazine Wine Dark Sea
- Participation in local school radio broadcast
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Model United Nations Conference
- End of Year Concert featuring the winners of the Music and Dance Festival
- Transition Year Ceremony
- Sixth Year Valedictory Ceremony
Private instrumental tuition is available after school in the following:
- Double Bass
- Bass guitar
Please click on the document below for information regarding private instrumental lessons for the next academic year and how to book them.