There are three main areas in the P1 English curriculum - oral language, reading and writing. Discussion in the classroom on a wide range of topics aid the child's oral development. Our reading programme follows on from that in K2, and is structured to meet each child's individual needs. To develop both their reading and writing ability the children explore comprehension, creative writing, basic grammar and spellings.
The Maths programme for P1 follows a set sequence, building on the foundations established in K2. The Maths curriculum is divided into five main areas:
- Number (ordering and comparing, number pattern, place value, addition, subtraction, fractions)
- Algebra (very basic problem solving)
- Spatial awareness (2D and 3D shapes)
- Measurements (length, weight, capacity, telling the time, days, months, seasons, money)
- Data (displaying and representing information, reading and interpreting timetables)
P1 Irish is taught mainly through focusing on the child's conversational vocabulary. Comprehension of the spoken language is seen as the key factor in the P1 class. Emphasis is on child-to-child interaction.
There are four main areas focused on in P1:
- Listening - children do numerous oral based exercises with both the teacher and listening to the CD
- Speaking - children are encouraged to speak to their classmates and use learned phrases during the day
- Reading - class reader is not a feature-this skill is gently introduced
- Writing - children stick to writing words and sentences that they can say and recognise by ear
For the Non-Irish students there is a course of EAL or US Studies while Irish class is taking place.
S.E.S.E. (Social, Environmental and Scientific Education)
In the P1 class the History programme encourages the child to examine History from the child's own perspective. The course is broken into three main areas:-
- Myself and my family
- Change and continuity
The main emphasis in the P1 Geography curriculum is on giving the child an understanding of the key natural and human features of their immediate locality. Through exploring the three main areas of the P1 Geography curriculum, (Human Environments, Natural Environments, and Environmental Awareness and Care) the children will develop and understand the key geographical skills and concepts of the school curriculum.
There are four main areas in the P1 Science curriculum. They are:
- Living Things
- Energy and Forces
- Environmental Care & Awareness
S.P.H.E. (Social, Personal and Health Education)
At this young age it is important for children to get used to discussing themselves, their activities, emotions, opinions and worries with their peers. The S.P.H.E. lesson gives the children an outlet within the curriculum to explore this skill.
S.P.H.E. has three main components:
- Myself and others
- Myself and the wider world