I am delighted and honoured to have been elected the new President of the St. Andrew’s College Alumni. I attended Clyde Road for a year before moving to Booterstown and was followed in quick succession by my four brothers; Andrew, Simon, Bevin and Edward. As my late father used to say ‘There was a Hoffman in the ranks of the Academy, every day for 25 years!’ Actually for a brief spell, I think all five of us were in school together.
I might wear size 12 shoes but I would need even bigger ones if I were to attempt to fill Alan Lewis’ after his term as President in 2011/12. It was a busy year in which we changed our name from St Andrew’s College Past Pupils’ Union to St Andrew’s College Alumni - SACA, modernised the constitution, made a further push into social media and moved the annual dinner to The Westbury Hotel.
My plans for 2012/13 are more of the same:
- To modernise the Alumni whilst respecting and cherishing the tradition of the past 100+ years.
- To ensure continuity with a President Elect in the wings for the following year. I am to be followed by Andrew Crawford in 2013/14.
- To help alumni communicate more easily with each other via social media.
- To support and promote the school.
- To replicate the overwhelming success of the Black Tie Dinner in the Westbury Hotel.
- To encourage overseas past pupils to embrace The Gathering and come back to Ireland for next year’s dinner and a tour of the school in October 2013.
For those of you who have perhaps lost touch a bit with the school, you would be amazed how Arthur Godsil and his teaching staff have continued to create a very special environment in which the current students flourish that is hugely respected in Ireland and on the International stage.
Finally I would encourage you to do two things, firstly have a look at the school and SACA on the web, Facebook and LinkedIn. Go down memory lane and maybe reach out to some old school friends. If you have not been to a dinner before, consider coming next October and encourage your friends, especially the overseas ones, to accompany you on the night.